Thursday, February 21, 2008

Silverbeet Rainbow Swiss Chard for the Growing Challenge

I keep reading about garden bloggers (and even non-gardening bloggers) taking the growing challenge from Elements in Time.

It seems like a great challenge about growing something edible from seed that you never have before. Well, I want to play!

At first I thought I would declare Violet Queen Purple Cauliflower as my newbie. Violet Queen is a variety of cauliflower that I learned about from Tiny Farm Blog. It grows bright purple heads that look like broccoli! I have never grown purple cauliflower before but I have grown both normal cauliflower and broccoli. So I thought that maybe Violet Queen is not the best entry for the Growing Challenge.

So I thought some more. What do I want to grow that I never have before? Then, as I was going through my seed stash it hit me - Five Color Silverbeet, rainbow Swiss Chard! The seeds I have are from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, but they were given to me by Kenny of Veggie Gardening Tips. I have never raised or even eaten swiss chard, which I guess is also called silverbeet. Thanks again for the seeds Kenny!

Come to think of it, Kenny also gave me some of his famous Potato Onions, which I already planted in the garden last Fall. I have never grown Potato Onions before either.

So I guess I really have three entries to keep track of and report on this season for the Growing Challenge:

  • Violet Queen Purple Cauliflower
  • Five Color Silverbeet - Swiss Chard
  • Potato Onions!
  • I'm pretty excited about these. I'm also excited to read about everyone else's growing challenges as the season progresses. Come on Spring!

    4 comments:

    Colleen Vanderlinden

    These all sound great, Marc! Any idea if "Five Color Silverbeet" is the same as "Bright Lights?" I'm growing "Bright Lights" this year. I usually grow "Ruby Chard," which is delicious, but I got some "Bright Lights" in a trade this year and I can't wait to try it.

    I'm looking forward to your Growing Challenge posts!

    Whyite

    What great newbie veggies Marc! I am only growing 2 new ones this year.

    Anthony

    I've always wanted to try chard. Hmmm... it's not too late yet. :)

    Matron

    I've been growing Swiss Chard 'rainbow lights' for several years now, I'm hooked! Completely hardy, intensely colourful and much tastier than spinach.

    GardenDesk   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

    TOP