Thursday, March 22, 2007

Grow Light Stand... on Steroids!

Since my last post showing my attempt at extra early ripe tomatoes, I re-potted those young tomato pioneers once more.

When I put them back under the grow lights, I remembered that I haven't showed you the light stand that I built new for 2007! Finishing this was one of the things on my 2007 Garden to do list post. I have always hung a few shop lights from the ceiling and had enough space for about four flats of seedlings. This year however, I've quadrupled my capacity!

It's big and heavy and a bit ugly, but oh how many plants we can grow now!

It is really just an old kitchen table extended with plywood and built up with scrap wood to sport a second level. With two levels, I can hang 4 shop lights under the top level and 4 shop lights from the ceiling. Under those lights I have room for 12 flats. Using cell packs that fit 72 seedlings per flat, that's a possible 864 plants at a time! That's not a real number because of transplanting to bigger pots. Regardless of the number, I think I finally have enough indoor grow space. I like to start almost everything on my garden list from seed. Last year it was pretty crowded under the lights. I found myself kicking plants out into the garden earlier than I wanted to just to make room for other plants. This is what my light table looked like last year:

Here is what each level of the new and improved light table looks like:


Bottom Level


Top Level (not being used much yet)

I didn't spend anything on the wood and I just use regular 40 watt florescent bulbs in the light fixtures instead of spending lots of money on "growlight" bulbs. To me the key is having a lot of light. Remember, with florescent lights we are trying to mimick the Sun. The Sun is so powerful and puts off so much light that even though we are 93 million miles away, we can't even directly look at it! With that in mind, I have added an extra light fixture per level. I have four fixtures over three rows of flats instead of the normal one fixture per row of flats. It is also important to keep the lights only a few inches above the tops of the plants. By suspending the lights with chains, I can easily adjust the distance as the plants grow, or as I use bigger pots.

I keep the lights on about 16 hour per day. I don't believe in using an automatic timer either. If I have to turn the lights on and off manually, that is a guaranteed two times daily that I will look at the plants. That way I will always notice when they need watering or any other attention.

This post was really only supposed to be about the new light stand. I will write more about the art of growing from seed later. After all, I still have about 1000 seeds left to start!

7 comments:

RUTH

This is fantastic. As one who is running out of windowsills; how I'd love one of these!

KC MO Garden Guy

What a wonderful way to recycle the old table. I have to admire you for starting so many of your own seeds. That takes time and a lot attention to detail. I am impressed.

Anthony

Looks great, well done! Now I'm even more sure that you'll be eating those tomatoes really soon.

ACey

very impressive job! And I bet it's wonderful puttering around with it, too.

Rancho Gringos Blancos

Wow! That is amazing! It's quitean inspiration too! It's super impressive. I think more lights is better than no lights too!

Ottawa Gardener

I must get more lights. Right now, since repotting, I have had to place the light too far above them. More power, more light, more plants!

Anonymous

you should consider getting T5 or T8 flourescents. They will cost a bit more but you will be rewarded with very healthy fast growing seedlings. Getting a good head start is crucial.

GardenDesk   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP