Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Official Garden Desk Weight Loss Tools!

Part of Wordless Wednesday

Okay, I can't really leave this completely wordless. For the past month or so, I have been redesigning the vegetable garden and building a deck. Because of all of the hard work, I have lost almost 10 pounds! I could stand to lose 5 or 10 more, so I guess I'll just have to garden MORE, which is not a problem for me.

The re-design of the garden was a lot of physical work because I wanted raised beds but didn't have much extra soil. My solution was to till the entire area, build the garden beds from untreated lumber, place the new beds where I wanted them and shovel all of the surrounding dirt into the beds. In essence I obtained "raised beds" by lowering the areas around the beds by about a foot. That is quite a bit of digging and shoveling. I am not all the way finished, but here are a couple of pictures that I took before I planted anything (except the extra-early tomatoes):

As for building the deck, I've posted several times before about it's progress. I now have the entire floor on but I still need to build some railings and the overhead shade trellis. Here is a picture taken when the floor was about 3/4 done:

It has been nice losing weight because of these two projects, but they have delayed my garden plantings and I haven't been able to write as much as I would like in my blogs. Soon both projects will be done and I can hopefully get back to daily updates here.

Thanks for allowing me to be so wordy on Wordless Wednesday! If you want to see other peoples posts that probably are less wordy,Click Here.

21 comments:

Anonymous

It's going to be beautiful when you are finished.

Pearls of Wisdom

Oh it will be wonderful when you are done. Thanks for sharing Happy WW and gardening.

Angel Mama ( Pearls of Wisdom)

maiylah

gardening and losing weight, love the combination! :)
i love gardening projects, though am not really good at it. lol
happy ww!

Anonymous

I love gardens of all sorts, but I not one to work in them. Wish I had the "talent" Good luck with your new veggie garden

Today my WW is all about the THE MEN IN MY LIFE Enjoy :-)

Unknown

Someones been busy

Amelia Antwiler

Can you come over and build a garden in my yard?? We'll let you lose weight over here. *L*

Seriously though - that's a fantastic garden.

Melissa @ Banana Migraine

What an amazing start to what I'm sure will be a fantastic garden. Oh how I wish I had a green thumb!

dawnae

I am so impressed....if you are married tell your wife she is very lucky! :)

Anonymous

You're going to have a great veggie garden when you're done. But the big question is, will you ever be able to sit on the deck and just enjoy the view? Our deck overlooks the vegetable garden, and it's amazing how easy it is to get drawn into doing more gardening!

The World In The Eyes Of Brothers

Wow what a lot of work. I am sure it is going to look stunning. Wish I had someone to sort out my garden.

Rayne

Oh, wow! What a lot of work! I bet it's going to be beautiful when it's done. You have to show us photos so we can see.

Amico Dio

Oh my! This makes me so happy! I love the layout... excellent photos!

Lisa Wheeler Milton

That's a lot of work - but certainly worth it.

Good luck!

MommaBoo

Why don't you stop by my "little slice of heaven"? I could DEFINITELY go for some nice, fresh veggies.

And the "deck"? Nice.

Thanks for sharing!

Happy WW and blessings for a nice week ahead!

Rebecca

Wow that looks like a lot of work, but also a lot of fun!! I love projects like that.

Happy WW - mines up at http://anyapples.blogspot.com/

Sherry

Great going. I just don't have that kind of stamina. You'll really enjoy the yard and garden once it's all set up.

The Plaid Sheep

Most impressive. And so very satisfying. Happy gardening!

lisa

Now that's MY kind of diet! ;)

Gotta Garden

Impressive! All of it, the raised beds and the weight loss!! I would be so eager to get plants in there!

Anonymous

That's a lot of raised beds! looks like it's going to be fantastic.

Anonymous
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

GardenDesk   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP