Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Corn Hole; Have you ever heard of it or played it?

Part of Wordless Wednesday

Once again, I can't really leave this completely wordless. My daughter and I played in a Corn Hole tournament at our church on Sunday. We won the first round but lost the 2nd round 21 to 19. I know this has very little to do with gardening, although there really is corn inside the bean bags. Even still, this post will not be worthy of Veggie Garden Info.

Corn Hole is a really fun game, but I don't think it is very well known across the country. It is extremely popular in the Cincinnati area, as you can see from the above pictures. It is sort of like horseshoes. You try to throw your corn bags into the hole in the board thirty feet away. If you get it in the hole, you get three points. If it lands on and stays on the board, you get one point. It is played in two people teams. Your partner is at the other board and throws the bags back to your board. The scoring gets pretty interesting because the other team's points cancel out yours on any given round. In other words, on your first round if you get one in the hole and then your opponant does too, the score is still 0 to 0, not 3 to 3.

There is a regulation size and angle to the boards, but the cool thing is that the face of the boards can be painted however you want. Some of them get really artistic.

Well now, there is a good garden-related board!

What I am interested to see from this post is if you have ever played corn hole? Have you even heard of it? Please leave a comment below and tell me where you live and if you have heard of it or played it. If you havn't but you are interested in learning more, you can visit www.playcornhole.org.

Once again, thanks for allowing me to be so wordy on Wordless Wednesday! If you want to see other people's posts that probably are less wordy, click here.

13 comments:

Anonymous

I played it last summer when I was visiting in Ohio. I'd never heard of it before one of my best friends moved there. Her FIL makes and sells the boards and bags. I've lived all over the country, and having never heard of it before I could only assume it was a local thing. It was fun though =)

Melissa @ Banana Migraine

I've not ever played it, but I do know of it because the girl in the office next to me is always talking about it. I like to tease her and now I'll be sure to show her this WW :)

Anonymous

that looks like so much fun!! A great set of photos!

Pearls of Wisdom

Oh that looks so fun! Thanks for sharing and Happy WW.

Angel Mama ():)

Lori

How fun!

ERZSÉBET

I've never seen or played it but I have heard of it if where I heard it from was referencing the same game.

"Corn Holio" from Beevis and Butthead way back in the day when I'd catch an episode here and there but I had no idea what it was.

Looks like a lot of fun! Wonderful set of photos.

Happy WW!

Sherry

We just call it a bean bag toss. No tournies, tho'. We use them in festivals.

Anonymous

I have never heard of this before. Happy WW.

Rebecca

Cornhole? Thanks for the brand new definition to what I used to think was very family unfriendly!

Happy WW - mines up at Any Apples

Anonymous

I've heard of it, but have never seen photos. That looks like fun, thanks for sharing those!

Carol Michel

I've heard of corn hole and played it once a few summers ago. My boss's college-aged sons were in to it. He had a cook out at his house for all of us and that's where I saw it for the first time.

If not for that, I would not know about it.

Anonymous

It looks like you and your daughter had a lot of fun.
I am always trying to find ways to relate other stuff I do to gardening so I can blog about it.
Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous

Glad to see word of this great game is spreading. If you're in need of cornhole supplies, check us out at Cornhole.com . We've also got a pretty solid blog running at The Cornhole Blog .

GardenDesk   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP